For liberals, this would have to be a two-fer. A study recently conducted by the University of Rome Tor Vergata suggests that those who oppose homosexuality and the idea of gay marriage may have mental issues.
There’s a huge problem here, as a post over at Joe Miller observes. You see, federal law prohibits the sale of firearms to anyone who is found to be “a mental defective.” That means it’s very possible that those who oppose homosexual activity or gay marriage — like Christians or traditionalists — could someday lose their right to keep and bear arms.
A post at Breakpoint says:
“Live Science” reports that researchers at the University of Rome Tor Vergata asked 560 university students to report their feelings about homosexuality, then gave them a standard psychiatric evaluation.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: The Squad
Participants who exhibited what the researchers called “healthy attachment styles” tended to show less animosity toward homosexuals. They also showed more “mature coping mechanisms” in “scary or unpleasant situations,” and were generally less angry. But those who showed the highest animosity toward homosexuals exhibited a host of warning signs like inability to trust others, passive-aggressive behavior, and denial.
Lead researcher Emmanuele Jannini concluded, “After discussing for centuries if homosexuality is to be considered a disease, for the first time we demonstrated that the real disease to be cured is homophobia.”
You read that right.
Now, here’s what federal law says:
(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person—
(1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(2) is a fugitive from justice;
(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
Do you think for one minute that someone like Barack Obama would hesitate to use this as part of the overall effort to strip Americans of their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms? Even though it could spark a second civil war?
An article at the Daily Beast notes:
Second Amendment enthusiasts are fond of arguing that gun rights are enshrined in the Constitution not only for the sake of hunters or people who want to protect their homes and businesses from criminals, but also to allow the population to resist an overreaching government. If federal agents came to round up firearms, many gun owners would be prepared to shoot back. Clinton can joke all she likes about Americans fearing “black helicopters” taking their guns away, but it is no exaggeration to suggest that civil war could erupt on American soil were the U.S. government to attempt anything remotely resembling what was done in Australia.
Or, as Sheriff David Clarke once suggested, a second American revolution.
- Shootings in Baltimore Up 80% Over 2014
- Joe Biden: No law-abiding citizen ‘has any fear that their constitutional rights will be infringed’
- L.A. Times editorial underscores self-contradictory logic of gun control
- Sheriff warns of second American revolution if gun confiscation laws pass
- Scientific American: Socialism answer to gun crime