“We’re not going to take away a citizen’s constitutional rights without due process,” he said on CNN, dismissing a childish Democrat Party sit-in.
The Washington Examiner added:
Democrats want the GOP to allow a vote on bills to expand background checks, and to prevent people from buying a gun if they are on an federal terrorism watch list. But Republicans say those lists are created without giving the people on those lists any chance to defend themselves.
When asked if the NRA was the main factor preventing a House vote on the bills, Ryan rejected that premise.
“No, the Constitution is,” he said. “People have an individual, guaranteed rights to Second Amendment rights.”
“That is what the Constitution requires, and we’re going to stick with the Constitution.”
Democrats are demanding that Republicans vote on measures that have already been defeated in the Senate, but Ryan says that makes no sense. Instead of following regular order, Democrats threw a temper tantrum and staged their sit-in.
They refused to leave, so Republicans recessed the House, leaving Democrats to stew on the floor.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Lost Leader
- House Democrats throw temper tantrum over gun control
- Video: Dianne Feinstein says Americans must prove their innocence if they’re on a watch list
- Dem. Senator Jeanne Shaheen: People who buy AR-15s out ‘to do bad things’ — Audio
- White House falsely accuses GOP of selling guns to ISIS
- Democrat senators falsely accuse GOP of selling guns to ISIS, attack gun owners