As part of the left’s ongoing campaign to foment hate and possibly violence against members of the NRA and gun owners in general, the New York Daily News’ Monday cover calls the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre “Jihadi Wayne.”
Of course, it’s a false claim, but since when does the truth matter to agenda-driven liberals bent on hate?
— New York Daily News (@NYDailyNews) November 23, 2015
Naturally, it didn’t sit too well with a number of people.
.@NYDailyNews Really doubling down on stupid, aren't you? 300,000 Americans on the watch list have NO TIES TO TERROR GROUPS.
— Bob Owens (@bob_owens) November 23, 2015
— Beto Ochoa ® (@Beto_In_Austin) November 23, 2015
Only those who disagree with Obama and liberal media outlets like the NYDN. Liberals will be given a pass…
— ParatrooperJJ (@ParatrooperJJ) November 23, 2015
Not for the NYDN, apparently.
Some responded with a bit of sarcasm:
why are we still allowing them to vote and work at their jobs? Go big or go home, I say! @NYDailyNews
— Baby Ghoul Alliance (@AceofSpadesHQ) November 23, 2015
— Arthur Kimes (@ComradeArthur) November 23, 2015
Believe it or not, that idea was actually floated by a Virginia liberal who said he was okay with exterminating the five million members of the NRA.
Who knows? Maybe that’s what the NYDN really wants.
One person put forward a very interesting argument:
@NYDailyNews I love how you guys are scared of guns, conservatives, strong women, work, responsibility-everything BUT terrorists.
— This is ponderous (@Thisisponderous) November 23, 2015
— General Minus (@El_general_Meno) November 23, 2015
The NRA’s objection to the bill is a little more complicated than the NYDN would have you believe. At issue is how an individual ends up on the watchlist in the first place and how it could be abused in the future to restrict an American’s right to buy a gun.
Here’s the NRA’s objections to the measure:
- As the name suggests, the “watchlist” is not limited to people guilty of “terrorism”1 or who are suspected of other acts serious enough to warrant their arrest. It broadly includes people “known or reasonably suspected to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism,”2 including those only “being preliminarily investigated to determine whether they have links to terrorism” and those “for whom the FBI does not have an open terrorism investigation.”3
- A person accused of serious wrongdoing has the right to know what he has been accused of, to offer evidence in his defense, and to be judged by a jury. A constitutionally protected right cannot be taken away on the basis of a secretive or unsubstantiated accusation. A judge should be allowed to consider evidence which may support the innocence of the accused.
- S. 34 and H.R. 1506 are aimed primarily at law-abiding American gun owners. Ninety-five percent of watchlisted persons are already prohibited from acquiring firearms in the U.S., because they are not U.S. citizens or legal resident aliens. (See below.)
- NICS already checks the relevant portion of the watchlist, and denies firearms to watchlisted persons who are prohibited from possessing firearms. Tellingly, S. 34’s and H.R. 1506’s sponsors could not name a single gun crime committed by a watchlisted person who purchased a firearm after passing a NICS check. (See below.)
- As D.C.’s and Chicago’s handgun bans have proven, prohibiting the possession of firearms doesn’t stop criminals from illegally acquiring them.
- There would be an enormous potential for abuse, if the FBI were given arbitrary power over a constitutionally-protected right. This would be true even if the FBI had an unblemished record where civil rights are concerned.
Now, the NYDN calls LaPierre a terrorist for wanting to ensure our rights under the Constitution are upheld. One has to wonder — what other rights would the NYDN like taken away without due process?
- The left’s answer for what ails America: Murder conservatives, NRA members
- Virginia Democrat says he’s okay with extermination of five million Americans
- Va. Democrat to ask God to kill all NRA members on air
- Des Moines columnist calls for repeal of Second Amendment, death of gun owners
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?