The old year went out Tuesday with a bang, not a whimper, for a Phoenix family when a seriously deranged father murdered his 13-year-old son with an ax, fearing that the boy was possessed by a demon.
That the man, 51-year-old Gary Sherrill, was in serious need of psychiatric help but never received it is suggested by interviews with neighbors. One of them told reporters with FOX affiliate KSAZ that the windows of the Sherrill “were blacked out with tin foil,” adding, “I never saw the child playing whenever he was let out of the house.” The woman noted that she had actually phoned child protective services at one point, but apparently no effort at intervention was made on the child’s behalf.
In a press release on Tuesday, Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said that Sherrill confessed to murdering his son, David: “[He] stated he was scared of his son and believed his son was a demon and was going to eat him.”Video of news report]
Who would you vote for if the elections were held today? (1)
The boy’s mother asked police to check on her son Tuesday because her ex-husband was late returning the boy. She told authorities hadn’t been able to reach either him or her son, Martos said.
At about 3:45 p.m., police conducted a welfare check of Sherrill’s residence. At first Sherrill said the child wasn’t home, but officers prodded him into inviting them inside, Martos said, adding:
Once inside, they located the 13-year-old male victim, David Sherrill, deceased with obvious signs of trauma. Sadly, the victim sustained stab wounds and lacerations to several parts of his body.
Sherrill was arrested and booked on suspicion of first-degree murder.
- Two more seniors are victims of black-on-white violence
- Elderly couple comes to blows after wife finds hubby on computer dating website
- White perpetrator of ‘knockout’ attack charged with hate crime
- OK man killed girlfriend’s baby because it wouldn’t stop crying during football game
- Horror story: Mom learns her 15-year-old son is dead when she reads about it on Facebook
- 11-year-old assaults grandmother after she refuses to buy him toy
- Ohio couple returns 9-year-old boy they adopted when he was 3 months old
- Perps in latest ‘Knockout’ game are elementary school students; libs still insist attacks are mythical
- Daycare worker admits to murdering 3-year-old because she ‘refused to take her coat off’
- Mother jailed for up to 30 years for burning off teen son’s penis and nipples with lighter
- Family of black teen who attempted armed robbery irate that a Good Samaritan shot him (Video)
- Families of armed robbers shot to death by concerned citizen demand justice (Video)
- GA high school senior suspended one year for hugging teacher
- Man wrongfully imprisoned won’t see dime of $5M settlement because Detroit is broke
- 5th-grader suspended for ‘shooting’ imaginary ‘arrow’ at classmate