The Ann Arbor News (via The Daily Caller) that the threat to resort to “physical action” if seven demands issued on Martin Luther King Day are not met within a week’s time originated after a talk by “activist” (read “race baiter”) Harry Belafonte (who recently compared conservative business leaders to the Ku Klux Klan). The demands include:
- more control over the Black Student Union’s budget,
- more housing for lower-income students,
- a new multicultural student center,
- the requirement of classes teaching all students about the historical treatment of minorities,
- access to emergency scholarships for minority students,
- increased exposure to library materials, and
- a requirement that 10% of the campus be represented by black students.
Shayla Scales, a senior, told the Ann Arbor News:
If negotiations are not complete we will be forced to do more, beginning to increase valiantly our activism for social progress and take physical actions on the University of Michigan’s campus.
It is unclear what Scales means by “physical actions,” though one gets the distinct sense the phrase is not a reference to creative dance.
In addition to Belafonte, the social justice activist group By Any Means Necessary is reported to have rallied on campus, blocking traffic in the process. The organization, which takes its name from a line in a speech by Malcom X, is a strong advocate of affirmative action (aka, minority quotas).
- Obama: ‘People dislike me because I’m black’
- MSNBC activist Al Sharpton discusses race war in U.S. after Zimmerman verdict
- Ann Coulter reminds us Kwanzaa is a made-up holiday, courtesy of the FBI
- Why Did FDR’s New Deal harm blacks?
- Obama nominates black lesbian federal judge: So what?
- Progress in war on black poverty due to civil rights, not welfare
- Black mob violence in Rochester no problem for blacks, just whites
- Salon writer out-MHPs Melissa Harris-Perry in comments over Mitt Romney’s black grandchild
- MSNBC’s Melissa Harris-Perry apologizes for mocking Mitt Romney’s adopted black grandchild