After being burned by his nomination of Debo Adegbile to head up the civil rights division at the Department of Justice, President Obama has jumped right back into the fray with another radical nominee, this time for Surgeon General.
But what makes Vivek Hallegere Murthy such a controversial choice for the post is not what you might expect. It’s not that he is a champion of late-term abortions (though he probably is) or believes in fully government-subsidized sex reassignment surgeries (though he probably does).
The problem with Murthy, rather, is his position on guns. Namely, he thinks one of the questions doctors should ask patients during a routine medical history is whether the person has any guns in his home.
Investors.com notes that Murthy, 36, is president and co-founder of Doctors for America, an anti-gun group that advocates making gun control a facet of the practice of medicine.
His group, which has been dubbed “Docs vs. Glocks,” has pushed Congress to ban “assault” weapons and “high-capacity” magazines.
He also wants to spend more tax dollars on more research to prove that fewer guns mean a lower crime rate, despite the fact that a number of reputable studies prove the opposite.
In a preliminary hearing before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, Sen. Lamar Alexander asked Murthy about his social media comments on firearms, such as a tweet before the 2012 presidential election that included the odd claim that “guns are a health care issue.”
Murthy’s Twitter timeline is full of his anti-firearms screeds. A tweet from December 2012 reads, “NRA press conference disappointing but predictable — blame everything in the world except guns for the Newtown tragedy. #wakeup.”
Like so many gun control zealots, Murthy ignores the fact that mass shootings such as the one at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., occur in so-called gun-free zones where the only armed individual is the predator.
One especially troubling aspect of Murthy’s view that doctors should counsel their patients against exercising their Second Amendment rights is that such information entered into a patient’s private medical records would be available to the government under Obamacare.
- Senate Dems vote down cop-killer defender; left reacts predictably
- Dems hope to increase taxes on guns and Ammo
- Apartment complex suspends Second Amendment, tells residents to give up guns
- Dems who didn’t vote to confirm cop killer defender should be ashamed or something
- Handling guns is, like, WAY dumber than handling snakes
- Virginia Dem. says guns need to be titled, registered, gun owners like ‘little children’
- Poughkeepsie mayor: Bloomberg wanted to confiscate guns illegally
- School officials don’t like ‘no guns’ stickers that picture guns
- CA shoppers stock up on rifles, shotguns ahead of gun registry
- Obama promises mayors unilateral action on guns
- NBC’s David Gregory falsely claims 40 percent of guns sold without background checks
- Nocera: Why can’t we childproof guns?
Trending: BREAKING: ARTURO D’ELIA CAUGHT: Head Of Italian Aerospace Company’s IT Department Used ‘Military Grade Cyber Warfare’ To Switch Votes ‘For Trump To Biden’ -ADMISSION VIA SWORN AFFIDAVIT! HOW DID HE DO IT? WHO WERE HIS HANDLERS? VIDEO EVIDENCE!