Howard students were continuing their takeover of the Administration Building on campus for the 5th day on Monday. They have issued a list of demands, one of which is to disarm campus police. The school has complied with one of them: the housing demand. The rest remain “unresolved.” Howard University is traditionally a Black University in the DC area. They are vowing to continue their sit-in until all demands are met.
— #StudentPowerHU (@HUResist) March 26, 2018
The @HUResist occupation is in it’s 5th day. It is an amazing testament to the organizing skills, will, political strength, community, revolutionary praxis, sacrifice, and dedication of the students who have made this possible and sustained it. #StudentPowerHU
— #OperationPUSH (@jaybeware) April 2, 2018
This is the list of their demands from WUSA9:
Demands from Howard University students:
- We demand that Howard University provide adequate housing for all students under the age of 21 and extend the Fall 2018 housing deposit deadline to May 1.
- We demand an immediate end to unsubstantiated tuition hikes and complete access to administrative salaries.
- We demand that Howard University actively fight rape culture on campus in an effort to prevent sexual assault.
- We demand that Howard University implement a grievance system to hold faculty and administrators accountable in their language and action toward students with marginalized identities.
- We demand that Howard University hire more counselors and implement an inclusive attendance policy that accounts for mental and emotional health issues.
- We demand the immediate disarming of campus police officers and the formation of a Police Oversight Committee controlled by students, faculty, staff and off-campus community representatives.
- We demand that Howard University allocate more resources toward combating food insecurity and gentrification within the LeDroit-Shaw community.
- We demand the immediate resignation of President Wayne A.I. Frederick and the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- We demand that students have the power to democratically influence the decision of the administration and the Board of Trustees by way of popular vote.”
They are demanding that University President Wayne Frederick resign because of an embezzlement scandal in the Financial Aid Department in which 6 University employees were fired back in September. The employees reportedly embezzled at least $1 Million in financial aid funds. The school instituted new procedures to stop it from occurring again. Yet students are still demanding his resignation.
The students have taken over the four floors of the administration building, refusing to let any University staff inside.
— Freddy Wheeler 🎥 (@FilmItFreddy) March 31, 2018
One of their demands is to disarm campus police – which would prove to be a disaster from a safety standpoint.
Howard U President Frederick released a statement that spoke to each demand, and each point is being negotiated one at a time. You can read his statement at this link. According to Fox News, the alumni association backs the University President, while 26 faculty members have signed a letter of support for the student sit-in.
- This University’s Free Speech Policies Will Drive Liberals Crazy
- African-American students at Lipscomb University offended by cotton centerpieces on table,…
- ‘White genocide’ professor resigns from Drexel University
- Northeastern University professor: ‘I wouldn’t mind’ seeing Trump dead
- San Diego State University Course to Impeach Donald Trump
So if you appreciate the kind of hard-hitting Conservative news you probably won’t see anywhere else, please visit our Patreon page here and become a patron, and be sure to spread the word.