The latest comes from New York Democrat Chuck Schumer, who suggested countries wave rainbow flags during the opening ceremony of the Olympics to show support for gay rights and protest Russian President Vladimir Putin.
From The Hill:
“That’d be pretty embarrassing for [Russian President Vladimir] Putin,” Schumer said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “Let our athletes participate but still make a stand.”
In June, Putin signed a law banning gay “propaganda” and imposing fines on those holding gay pride rallies. The law has generated an international backlash ahead of the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) has called on the U.S. to boycott the games altogether in response to Russia’s failure to return Edward Snowden, the ex-CIA employee who leaked details of top-secret National Security Agency surveillance programs.
- Obama cites Declaration of Independence, MLK in call for gay marriage
- Obama to MTV: I won’t be pushing gay marriage in second term
- Obama returns to 1996 position, now says he supports gay marriage
- Washington state lawmakers approve gay marriage bill
- Florida teacher suspended for opposing gay marriage, faces termination
- Newsweek magazine uses religious imagery to label Obama ‘first gay President’
- Army punishes senior NCO for serving Chick-fil-A sandwiches, celebrating DOMA
- Sebelius: Obamacare to favor gays over straight people
- GOP Rep: Military chaplains, troops opposed to gay marriage under attack
- Oregon bakery target of threats, ‘terrorism’ for refusal to serve gay wedding
- Report: DOJ requires employees to verbally affirm homosexuality
Be sure to check out our Headlines page to see what else our contributors are covering and make sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.