On Thursday, Xavier Becerra, Attorney General of the Sharia-compliant sanctuary state of California, threatened to prosecute employers who dare to obey federal immigration laws and assist authorities in a potential immigration crackdown.
“It’s important, given these rumors that are out there, to let people know – more specifically today, employers – that if they voluntarily start giving up information about their employees or access to their employees in ways that contradict our new California laws, they subject themselves to actions by my office,” Becerra said, according to the Sacramento Bee.
“We will prosecute those who violate the law,” he added.
San Francisco Democratic Assemblyman David Chiu issued a series of bullet points in California’s new law, the “Immigrant Worker Protection Act,” which he authored and was signed by Democrat Gov. Jerry Brown last year and went into effect on January 1.
- Requires employers to ask immigration agents for a warrant before granting access to a worksite.
- Prevents employers from voluntarily sharing confidential employee information without a subpoena.
- Requires employers to notify their workers before a federal audit of employee records.
- Gives the attorney general and labor commissioner exclusive authority to enforce new provisions of state labor laws.
- Prohibits employers from re-verifying information on employment verification forms, unless compelled to by federal law.
Becerra, the Bee said, admitted that reports of crackdowns are “rumors” and said the state Department of Justice was not aware of planned sweeps targeting Northern California.
Naturally, this didn’t sit too well with many.
California ladies and gents. https://t.co/ksHo96bKhS
— Trevor Taylor (@dubbletee66) January 18, 2018
Crazy Town https://t.co/Qy83yUe6r8
— Charlie Cafazza (@Cafazza) January 19, 2018
More like a “crazy” state.
This is utter lawlessness. https://t.co/ghc6lxq2m6
— Mz. J.✨ (@jaybluuee) January 18, 2018
It’s California, so…
Amazing that @AGBecerra is unaware that federal law trumps state law.
"ignorance of the law, is no excuse for breaking it," he said. https://t.co/1AXeJByzlc
— BayAreaFrau (@bayareahausfrau) January 19, 2018
Because in California illegal aliens are more important than American citizens https://t.co/e4iSYo5Ysu
— Mujahed Kobbe (@Moj_kobe) January 18, 2018
Worse yet, business owners now face the very real prospect of being shut down and prosecuted for following the law.
Californians MUST watch this.
Everyone else watch too. This is what our tax dollars are supporting.
— The OG ToniB 🤬 (@tonib) January 18, 2018
— Flip (@AsshatTrading) January 19, 2018
- California Dreamin’ – Secession movement declares independence
- Petition drive launched to draft James Woods for governor of California
- Sanctuary State signs pop up on California highways: ‘Felons, illegals and MS13 welcome!’
- Blog asks: ‘Should Trump send troops into California to remove anarchist government?’
- California prosecutes man for posting five anti-Muslim comments on Facebook
And if you’re as concerned about online censorship as we are, go here and order this book: