Virginia Governor Northam celebrated his signing of a stack of bills on Good Friday. He signed a plethora of bills that restrict the 2nd amendment – the right to keep and bear arms, as well as a bill that repealed the checks and balances against abortion in the state. He must have been deliriously happy at the destruction on his desk.
The gun bills Virginia Governor Northam signed were passed in late March through both houses of the legislature. He was expected to sign them into law, but the COVID-19 pandemic slowed down the process. He finally signed them on Good Friday.
Gun bills signed, according to whsv:
“•Senate Bill 70 and House Bill 2, which establish universal background checks in Virginia
• Senate Bill 240 and House Bill 674, which establish an Extreme Risk Protective Order, allowing authorities to temporarily take guns away from people deemed to be dangerous to themselves or others
• Senate Bill 69 and House Bill 812, which reinstate Virginia’s one-handgun-a-month law
• House Bill 9, which requires gun owners to report their lost or stolen firearms to law enforcement within 48 hours or face a civil penalty.
• House Bill 1083, which toughens the penalty for leaving a loaded, unsecured firearm in a reckless manner that endangers a child.
Northam proposed amendments for other bills without signing them into law, including:
• Senate Bill 35 and House Bill 421, which give local governments more authority to ban guns in public spaces, like public buildings, parks, recreation centers, and during permitted events
— The governor requested amendments clarifying the exemption included in the bill for institutions of higher education
• Senate Bill 479 and House Bill 1004, which bar people with protective orders against them from possessing firearms and require them to turn over their guns within 24 hours
— The governor requested amendments recommended by the Virginia Sexual and Domestic Violence Action Alliance to allow judges to hold the person in contempt of court if they fail to comply
A bill to ban the sale of assault weapons, which received the biggest pushback from gun owners, failed to pass.”
Virginia House Republican leader Todd Gilbert admonished the Democrats for their stupidity:
“To take a victory lap on such a controversial issue at a time when Virginians are buying firearms at a record pace to protect themselves and their families is counterintuitive…
To do so at a time when we need all Virginians unified in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic is counterproductive. It was clear from the moment these bills were introduced that they would impact law-abiding gun owners far more than criminals. It’s an unfortunate last chapter in the story of Michael Bloomberg’s efforts to reshape Virginia.” Todd Gilbert
On Good Friday, Virginia Governor Northam also signed into law an act that repealed the 24 hour waiting period before an abortion, as well as the ultrasound and counseling requirements.
As my friend, @RalphNortham, would say. There’s no excuse that a group of legislators, most of whom are men, should be telling women what they can and cannot do with their bodies. https://t.co/DHrrWw6EED
— Senator Dick Saslaw (@DickSaslaw) January 17, 2019
Catherine Glenn Foster is the CEO and President of Americans United for Life. She said in a statement to Breitbart:
“This bill lowers the basic, common sense health and safety standards that abortion facilities must meet, degrades women’s care, and will result in unsafe abortionists operating with even more impunity.
The bill eliminates reflection periods for women seeking an abortion while denying vulnerable women the full truth on what abortion means, what abortion is, and what abortion does.
The most heartbreaking part of this travesty to me personally is its repeal of the lifesaving ultrasound requirement in Virginia. When I went in for my abortion, scared and only 19 years old, I was denied the option to see the ultrasound of my baby. I asked, but the abortion worker said no. Now women all over the commonwealth of Virginia will be denied that basic right as well. It would have changed the course of my life. Women deserve better.”
Ever since the mid-term elections, Virginia has been on a full crusade to destroy everything for which Republicans fought. There will come a day of reckoning, of that you can be certain.
- AR Ban Failed in Virginia – Northam Loses!
- That’s Embarrassing: Democrat VA Governor Ralph Northam- Is He the Blackface…
- VA gun sales surge, one gun control law at a time
- Dem dissection of Second Amendment begins in Virginia
If you haven’t checked out and liked our Facebook page, please go here and do so. You can also follow us on Twitter at @co_firing_line. Please be sure to check out our MeWe page here and check us out at ProAmerica Only here.
And while you’re at it, be sure to check out our friends at Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative front-page founded by ex-military!