On Tuesday, Breitbart.com reported that after a contentious meeting, the Charlottesville, Virginia, City Council voted 3-2 to remove a nearly 100-year-old statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee. City leaders also vowed to remove Lee’s name from the park, the report said.
According to Breitbart:
The final anti-Lee vote was cast by Councilman Bob Fenwick who said afterward, “There is not just one way to honor history. Particularly at the expense of our neighbors.”
The city said it would cost around $300,000 to remove the long-standing memorial to the famed Confederate General.
Both Mayor Mike Signer and Councilor Kathy Galvin said they were very uncomfortable with the high cost of removing the statue.
The meeting was contentious as the pro-Lee and anti-Lee forces clashed. At one point, police even ejected at least four people from the meeting.
Charlottesville Vice Mayor Wes Bellamy pleaded for “understanding.”
“Just because we disagree on this issue doesn’t mean anyone who disagrees with me is my enemy,” he said. “The only way for us to move forward is for us to love each other, understand each other, and that we have to do this together.”
For some time, leftists have worked to remove all traces of the Confederacy from U.S. history. Recently, Warner Todd Huston said, “a battle was waged in New Orleans to remove all the city’s many civil war monuments.”
The situation has gotten so bad that a California history teacher was canned for displaying U.S. and Confederate flags while teaching about the Civil War.
So what’s next?
- California: History teacher canned for displaying USA and Confederate flags while teaching about the Civil War
- Video: Texas middle schoolers suspended for posing with Confederate battle flag
- Hillary Clinton calls Mississippi state flag ‘symbol of hate,’ ignores own history with Confederate flag
- Black men try to steal Confederate Flag decal from vehicle, owner assaulted
- ‘Largest Confederate funeral in a century’ says goodbye to a Southern black man
And if you’re as concerned about Facebook censorship as we are, go here and order this new book: