Owner Jim Chambers of EAV Barbell Club gym on the east side of Atlanta does not care about police officers and members of the military and has now gained attention when he posted a sign on his gym building that said, “Rules: Do whatever the hell you want, correctly, except Crossfit cultism. No f—— cops.”
Although there was backlash, Chambers is making no apologies after his ban on police officers and members of the military.
The controversy started when passersby noticed a sign posted in front of EAV Barbell Club in the city’s East Atlanta Village neighborhood and brought it to the attention of local NBC affiliate WXIA.
“Do whatever the f— you want, correctly, except crossfit cultism. No f—g cops,” the sign reportedly read.
The gym’s owner, Jim Chambers, said he took the sign down and regretted the profanity, but the policy still stands.
“We’ve had an explicitly stated ‘No Cop’ policy since we opened, and we also don’t open membership to active members of the military,” he told NBC.
Mr. Chambers, who is white, said the people who work out at his gym typically belong to minority groups and feel uncomfortable in the presence of law enforcement.
“We wanted one space that was just a little different. It’s not an aggressive, hetero-jock space that’s dominated by cops and soldiers,” he said. “It’s a place where you’re safe from that.
“And we don’t want to make police stronger so that they can hurt people more efficiently,” the gym owner added. “It’s not a personal thing, but if you put that uniform on, and quite honestly I view that as an occupying enemy army.”
Ok, outside of parodically trolling the troglodytes who are harassing us, I felt it pertinent to give a thorough response/clarification around this now viral issue of the gym/cops/military.
1) Policing finds its roots in slave patrols, and in union-busting in the North. Prior to that, communities functioned quite beautifully, sans mass incarceration, by way of simple self-policing. For this reason we advocate police abolition, not reform, and we believe that the creation of many such “cop-free” zones can help foster that end.
2) I did not say, as Ch 11 suggested, that we were “mostly minorities,” or that “minority” members felt any way. We’re not, that’s a sh*tty term, and I won’t speak for others, anyhow. I said that we do have members who are people of color, and lgbtq folks, and we know statistically that they are at greater risk around police. We also have people, like myself, who feel generally uncomfortable around people who are demonstrably above the law in our society. Members have joined because of our policy.
3) Given the feeling that policing and war is only serving our common enemies, business and Empire, we do not wish to help strengthen these forces, hence the active military ban. I don’t want to help you get stronger so that you can go kill North Koreans.
4) We are all capable of self-defense, especially in a community setting. This is why we say we have not and will not call police under emergency circumstances. This is a stand-your-ground state, after all.
5) My words and beliefs do not reflect those of anyone who trains or works at the gym. I know that my comrades who work with me there, or meet in other functions, verbally agree, but beyond that, our only requirement is that you tolerate our stances, not endorse them. Plenty of people use our space without care for anything political.
6) These policies have been in place since day 1. We have had some sign or another indicating no cops the whole time. This particular sign (which included vulgarity) came on the heels of a cop being upset with us about our policy, and then waking up to the news of Ismael Lopez being murdered by cops who went to the wrong house in Mississippi.
If you wanna throw darts, or ask questions, ask myself or Andre Modeste.
Finally, I only hate the officer when the officer dons the uniform of the State. Once that choice is made, they have become an enemy of the people.
This is a typical liberal response of hating cops and military members as cops are killed monthly due to this liberal’s hatred against cops and members of the military.
Help a USAF Veteran in need by clicking here.
- USAF reinforces Guam: Ready to #FightTonight
- GOP committeeman killed by ‘quarrelsome, argumentative’ Trump-hating neighbor
- Fox News’ Stossel Rips NY Gun Control Demagoguery
- Former Google employee: Efforts underway to demote anything non-PC, anti-Islamic terror from search results
- Woman Caught Defrauding Food Stamps Gets Harsh News From the Judge