While appearing on Monday’s edition of Fox News’ “The Ingraham Angle,” MRC founder and president Brent Bozell shredded Silicon Valley tech giants like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, telling Laura Ingraham that conservatives are right to be concerned about censorship from social media giants.
“This is emerging, the greatest censorship of free speech worldwide in the history of man,” he said, citing a report published by Newsbusters.
Here’s just a taste of what’s in the executive summary of that report:
- Twitter Leads in Censorship: Project Veritas recently had caught Twitter staffers admitting on hidden camera that they had been censoring conservatives through a technique known as shadow banning, where users think their content is getting seen widely, but it’s not. The staffers had justified it by claiming the accounts had been automated if they had words such as “America” and “God.” In 2016, Twitter had attempted to manipulate election-related tweets using the hashtags “#PodestaEmails” and “#DNCLeak.” The site also restricts pro-life ads from Live Action and even Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), but allows Planned Parenthood advertisements.
- Facebook’s Trending Feed Has Been Hiding Conservative Topics: A 2016 Gizmodo story had warned of Facebook’s bias. It had detailed claims by former employees that Facebook’s news curators had been instructed to hide conservative content from the “trending” section, which supposedly only features news users find compelling. Topics that had been blacklisted included Mitt Romney, the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) and Rand Paul. On the other hand, the term “Black Lives Matter” had also been placed into the trending section even though it was not actually trending. Facebook had also banned at least one far right European organization but had not released information on any specific statements made by the group that warranted the ban.
- Google Search Aids Democrats: Google and YouTube’s corporate chairman Eric Schmidt had assisted Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. The company’s search engine had deployed a similar bias in favor of Democrats. One study had found 2016 campaign searches were biased in favor of Hillary Clinton. Even the liberal website Slate had revealed the search engine’s results had favored both Clinton and Democratic candidates. Google also had fired engineer James Damore for criticizing the company’s “Ideological Echo Chamber.” The company had claimed he had been fired for “advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace.” Damore is suing Google, saying it mistreats whites, males and conservatives.
- YouTube Is Shutting Down Conservative Videos: Google’s YouTube site had created its own problems with conservative content. YouTube moderators must take their cues from the rest of Google – from shutting down entire conservative channels “by mistake” to removing videos that promote right-wing political views. YouTube’s special Creators for Change section is devoted to people using their “voices for social change” and even highlights the work of a 9/11 truther. The site’s very own YouTube page and Twitter account celebrate progressive attitudes, including uploading videos about “inspiring” gay and trans people and sharing the platform’s support for DACA.
Who would you vote for if the elections were held today?
“It’s 50 pages documenting what conservatives have been suggesting has been happening. This is — it sounds hyperbolic, but Laura, this is true,” Bozell said. “This is emerging, the greatest censorship of free speech worldwide in the history of man. Now let me explain this. The left is on a jihad against conservative thought.”
Here’s the video:
- Facebook suspends Jamie Glazov after reporting physical threat of violence
- Reports: Conservative street artist Sabo banned from Twitter, no reason given
- YouTube Censorship on Gun Manufacturers, Instructional Videos
- Soros-funded Media Matters falsely claims social media companies not censoring conservatives
- Congress needs to rein in out-of-control social media giants while there’s still time