Last week, MyFoxChicago reported that a local alderman, Democrat Leslie Hairston, may be in hot water after she offered prizes on her Facebook page for those who vote.
“Vote–you’re eligible no matter the candidate, then put their name and contact information on the back of their voter receipt…. And stop by the Fifth Ward office and drop it off,” the Facebook post read.
So what did she offer those who vote? According to Fox, they could receive “gift cards to establishments like Walgreens, Starbucks and Potbelly’s, but also including $100 Visa gift cards, in return for their vote.”
Election attorney Burt Odelson said the post “violates Article 29-1 of the election code.”
“That section is very specific that you cannot offer anything, money or anything of value, to entice someone to vote one way or another, or just to vote,” he added.
Here’s a bit of the conversation between Fox and Hairston:
FOX 32’s Dane Placko: “You offered gift cards for people who came in with a voting slip.”
Ald. Leslie Hairston: “Well, that is not exactly it.”
Dane: “How am I wrong?”
Hairston: “The post is now gone.”
Dane: “Well the post was up for some time.”
Hairston: “And now it’s gone.”
Indeed, the raffle post had disappeared from Hairston’s Facebook page by early afternoon.
Dane: “Do you understand why people became alarmed about this?”
Hairston: “When we found out we took it down.”
Here’s the video report, courtesy of Fox 32:
FOX 32 News Chicago
Hairston later issued a statement claiming her intentions were good… Right…
- North Carolina investigating voter fraud by Democrats
- Evidence of massive voter fraud discovered in North Carolina 2012 election
- North Carolina Democrats admit voting twice for Barack Obama in 2008 election
- North Carolina man brags on Facebook about voting multiple times for Obama
- North Carolina voters say ballots cast for Romney being registered for Obama
- Site says Obama stole election through voter fraud