On Saturday, news broke that Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., is set to endorse Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., for the GOP nomination next week in Iowa.
“This is a good get for Team Rubio,” Guy Benson wrote at Townhall. “Gowdy is well regarded by the base, elements of which practically begged him to run for Speaker of the House. But we’re in the midst of an unique campaign cycle in which traditional political rules don’t seem to apply — so will this have an impact, either in Iowa, or in Gowdy’s native South Carolina? Stay tuned. At the very least, Rubio must be pleased to have secured the conservative Congressman’s backing, and to have boxed out his presidential competitors for Gowdy’s semi-splashy, potentially-impactful endorsement.”
The Rubio campaign confirmed the news:
— Guy Benson (@guypbenson) December 26, 2015
Naturally, the news didn’t sit too well with conservatives.
— Joe Pesky (@JoePesky) December 26, 2015
A post at the Right Scoop noted:
- I would add this – if you’re a Trump guy who’s bashing on Gowdy, I don’t see how you would ever think he’d endorse el Trumpo. If you’re supporting other candidates, especially Ted Cruz, you might have a reasonable gripe.
I tend to agree.
- Marco Rubio Replaces Jeb as Establishment Candidate
- Marco Rubio IS eligible to be President
- GOP Rep. Gowdy: Nancy Pelosi ‘mind-numbingly stupid,’ recommends doctor visit
- Authorities investigating email threats against GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy
- Hillary Clinton: Truth about Benghazi attack doesn’t matter