According to Oklahoma station NewsOn6 (h/t Weasel Zippers), Dana Lewis, 46, of Muskogee was approached outside her home around 9:45 p.m. by three white men who forced their way inside, demanding “property.”
Managing to escape, a frantic Lewis rushed next door and told her neighbor, Kyle Ford, that intruders were in her home. Armed with a semi-automatic, Ford walked toward the residence and ordered the men to leave. Instead, they approached him. He cocked his pistol and warned them a second time. When one of the men lunged at him, he fired off a single round.
All three suspects fled the scene, but shortly after police found one of them suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest in an alleyway south of the residences. The suspect was taken to a local hospital where he later died.
Said Ford of the encounter:
He was literally a foot from me was when I shot him. It’s not something I ever wanted to have to do.
I asked them what they were doing and the first thing he said is, ‘What are you going to do?’
Ford says the whole incident has him shaken up, but he is convinced he did what he had to.
I only fired one shot. If I was out to do harm, I probably would have shot all of them, but that’s not the case. I was just trying to defend myself and that’s all I did.
Police have ruled that so far Ford appears to have acted in self-defense. Once their investigation is concluded, the case be turned over to the district attorney for a final determination.
Muskogee police are continuing their search for the remaining two suspects. The deceased suspect’s identity has not been released.
- Good Samaritan shot dead after opening door to man who said he was being chased
- Family of black teen who attempted armed robbery irate that a Good Samaritan shot him (Video)
- Families of armed robbers shot to death by concerned citizen demand justice (Video)
- Following latest attack, NYC police commish wonders aloud if ‘Knockout’ is urban legend
- About that ‘game’ called ‘Knockout’
- Another ‘Knockout’ victim, this one a 78-year-old granny
- Victim of Knockout attack defends attackers