While participating in a Google Hangout, Obama was asked about his administration deporting “record numbers” of illegal immigrants during his first term.
Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?
“This is something I’ve struggled with throughout my presidency,” he said.
“The problem is that I’m the president of the United States, I’m not the emperor of the United States. My job is to execute laws that are passed.”
Unless, of course, he doesn’t support them, like the Defense of Marriage Act, which he unilaterally decided was unconstitutional and not to be enforced by the Justice Department. Last July, he bypassed Congress on welfare reform and effectively rewrote the law with a policy directive.
Jason Howerton of The Blaze cut the president some slack.
“Now, while many of the president’s conservative critics argue that he has behaved like an ’emperor’ by exerting his will via executive orders, it is unlikely that Obama was actually lamenting the fact that he is not the emperor of the United States,” he wrote.
But Obama has decried the fact that he cannot rule unilaterally on certain issues more than once, and he has repeatedly shown his willingness to bypass Congress with executive orders and regulations.
Watch the video and decide for yourself — was this just a Biden-like gaffe, or does he really wish he could rule the country like a dictator?
- Liberal Daily Kos diarist calls for ‘benevolent’ Obama dictatorship
- Obama bypasses Congress, rewrites welfare reform law with policy directive
- Newsweek cover depicts Obama as Napoleonic, calls GOP old, white, history
- Retired officer warns: Obama victory may spark civil war
- Texas judge warns of possible civil war, U.N. takeover if Obama wins
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- The case against re-electing Barack Hussein Obama, part 2
- Liberal think tank says President can use military to push progressive agenda
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez wants Obama to rule like a dictator on illegal immigration
- The case against re-electing Barack Hussein Obama, part 4
- Obama regime to Congress: We’ll tell you what we’re doing with military force
- House Democrat: Obama ‘becoming an absolute monarch’ on war powers
- Op-ed: Obama ‘acting like an arbitrary tyrant’ destroying the Constitution
- Obama bypasses Congress, makes recess appointment while Senate in session
- Former Soviet dictator Mikhail Gorbachev says he supports Barack Obama
- Obama promises more dictatorial action on economy