Michigan has something of a split personality. The political landscape is a study in contrasts. For most of its post-Civil War history, Michigan politics has been dominated by Republicans. Yet at the same time, Michigan has spawned some of the most virulent leftist politicians and organizations in the U.S., and they have had a disproportionate impact on Michigan and the nation as a whole. At the same time, Michigan has one of the largest Arab American populations in the country, including both Muslims and Christians, a potentially explosive combination. Michigan is rated number six of the top ten Muslim populated states as a percent of the total state population.
Republicans currently hold substantial majorities in both houses of the state legislature. The governor, attorney general and secretary of state are all Republicans. The GOP has held the state senate every year since 1992, currently by a majority of 27 to 10. The house has been turned over to the Democrats intermittently for only seven of those 26 years. Republicans currently control 63 of the House’s 110 seats, with 46 controlled by Democrats and one vacancy. The governor’s office has been held by Republicans for the past eight years. The office of the Secretary of State has been held every year since 1995.
At the federal level, Democrats have fared much better. With the exception of Robert Griffin (1966-1978) and Spencer Abraham (1995-2000), Democrats have held both U.S. Senate seats since 1965. From 1965 until 2002, Democrats held the majority of U.S. House seats for all but eight years. Since 2002 Republicans have held the majority for all but two years.
The “Red” in Michigan’s Red-Green Axis
A number of prominent Michigan Democrats have shown their red stripes. Here are a few of the more notorious ones:
- The late Democratic congressman, George Crockett, was a communist. He served in Michigan’s 13th District (Detroit) from 1980 to 1991. He was also national vice president for the notorious communist front National Lawyers Guild (NLG), an organization he helped found. His last job in Congress was to chair the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, where he had access to much classified information. He opposed all U.S. action supporting anti-communists in Central America.
- Democratic Rep. John Conyers served in the U.S. House from 1965 to 2017, in Detroit’s 1st, 13th and 14th Districts. An extreme leftist, Conyers has been associated with the Communist Party USA for over 50 years. He was also a board member of the NLG. He was forced to retire in 2017 following multiple allegations of sexual harassment.
- Former U.S. Rep. David Bonior is a Socialist who was notorious during his days in Congress for opposing President Reagan’s Central American policy towards communists. He has been called a “dear friend to the Muslim community.” In 2002, he and two other congressmen traveled on a “fact finding” tour to Iraq arranged by Muthanna Al-Hanooti, who directed Michigan-based Life for Relief and Development (LIFE). LIFE received funds from Iraqi intelligence for the trip. Al-Hanooti was later indicted as a spy for Iraq.
- Far Left Democratic U.S. Senator Gary Peters took the seat of retiring Senator Carl Levin in 2014. Prior to that he served in the U.S. Congress and various state elected positions since 1995. Throughout his career Peters has been connected to Democratic Socialists of America and was endorsed by the pro-Palestinian, Soros-funded leftist, Astroturf Jewish group, J-Street. J-Street presents itself as a genuine Jewish group, but advocates for the Palestinian cause against Israel. Among other things, in 2011, Peters joined a protest with the anarchist group, Occupy Detroit.
- Congressman Sander Levin, brother of retired Senator Carl Levin, represents Michigan’s 12th District. In addition to socialist ties, he has spoken highly of the Council for American Islamic Relations, identified by our Department of Justice as a Palestinian terrorist (Hamas) and Muslim Brotherhood front group.
- Democratic U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow has spent a lifetime working alongside socialists and communists.
This split power structure may account for some of Michigan’s political schizophrenia. Whatever the case, the state has been a breeding ground for some of America’s most extreme leftist organizations and individuals. The 1960s’ New Left was best represented by Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), which had its founding at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor in 1960. The 1962 Port Huron Statement, written by radical leftist former University of Michigan student newspaper editor, Tom Hayden, envisioned grand plans to reorder society along socialist lines.
The “Green” in Michigan’s Red-Green Axis
When analysts warn that Muslims are intent on imposing Islamic Law (shariah) in defiance of the U.S. Constitution, Islamic apologists snicker that Muslims represent only 1 percent of the U.S. population, so how could they be a threat to anyone? In Michigan, Muslims represent about 2.75 percent of the population. Based on an estimated population of 10 million in 2018, that is 275,000 people. A lot more than 1 percent, but still, a population to be concerned about?
There are numerous reasons to be concerned. There is what has been described as a “tipping point,” when Muslim populations migrate to non-Muslim countries and reach a certain level of density and influence there. It is described succinctly in the following quote:
In his book, Slavery, Terrorism and Islam: The Historical Roots and Contemporary Threat, Dr. Peter Hammond established a statistical correlation between Muslim and non-Muslim populations on the one hand, and the transition from “conciliatory” to “fascist” Islam on the other. Hammond described the transition as consisting of five stages, the first of which was to “establish a beachhead” by achieving a population level of 2% of the host nation. Until then, Muslims are conciliatory, deferential and harmless. But once having reached that threshold, they begin to proselytize disaffected groups until they reach 5% of the population, when they demand such things as halal food in supermarkets, the blocking of streets for prayers, and self-rule within the ghettos they control. As their numbers approach 10% of the general population, their demands turn to violence and vandalism. In short, collectively Muslims behave as chameleons, as their Holy Text instructs them, shifting gears according to the circumstances they find themselves in.
Much of that described above has already begun to happen in the United States. Muslim groups are already demanding halal food in supermarkets, special prayer accommodations, and self-rule, and terrorism has become an all-too common, almost expected event.
This rapid advance toward the “tipping point” has occurred because American Muslim organizations, leaders, and populations (collectively, the Islamic Movement) have allied themselves with America’s radical Left in what has been called the Red-Green Axis. As such, they enjoy the commanding heights of popular culture, from the media to Hollywood and the universities. So, they are not merely 1 percent of the population anymore. They count on support from Democrats, who comprise about 50 percent of the U.S. population, and whose Party is today wholly owned, lock, stock, and barrel, by the hard Left.
As Michigan’s Islamic population has grown, it has partnered with the Left to leverage the Left’s power and has adopted the Left’s socialist agendas as well as its unscrupulous but effective vilification tactics.
Much more, here, including an in-depth discussion of the groups and individuals involved and the tactics they employ.
- Antifa, SPLC successfully shut down conferences on threat of Islam
- CAIR, The Most Dangerous Islamic (Propaganda) Arm In America, Strikes Again: Will Trump FINALLY Cut Off Its Tentacled Stranglehold??
- Report: Antifa terrorist strangles, nearly murders Trump supporter at ‘Night for Freedom’ event in New York
- CAIR Caught Conducting Sensitivity Training for Philadelphia Teachers
- Dem Rep. Keith Ellison endorses Antifa handbook, says it will ‘strike fear’ in Trump’s heart
If you haven’t checked out and liked our Facebook page, please go here and do so. You can also follow us on Twitter at @co_firing_line. Please be sure to check out our MeWe page here and check us out at ProAmerica Only here.
While you’re at it, be sure to check out our friends at Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative front-page founded by ex-military!
And if you love free speech as much as we do, please go here and help us fight social media censorship.