So it came as something of a shock to learn that a left-leaning journalist actually criticized the White House for wanting a state-controlled media.
“You have, on the one hand, President Obama saying that his administration is going to be the most transparent in history and that they want to be friends with the press,” Jeremy Scahill said in an appearance on “Democracy Now” Thursday. “And on the other hand, they are monitoring the metadata of journalists, they are seizing phone records, they are trying to compel journalists to testify against their sources, they are trying to figure out who journalists are talking to within government so that they can go and indict those people.”
“Our profession, our trade is the only one specifically cited in the Constitution for a reason,” he added. “When all three branches of the government are colluding against the interests of the people, it’s the responsibility of journalists to hold them accountable. But this White House, like Bush’s before, they seem to want only state media. They want everything to look like MSNBC, and that’s not real journalism.”
Of course, that assumes one considers MSNBC a “news” source, when it really is nothing more than a collection of uninformed radical leftists advancing a socialist-Marxist agenda. If Obama said the moon was made of green cheese, everyone at MSNBC would call anyone racist who disagrees. Yes, that’s how far “journalism” has fallen.
Video of his comments can be seen here.
- Yes, Virginia, there is a Democrat-media complex
- Democrat-media complex work to defeat will of the voters on health care repeal
- Majority of voters view media as biased and unethical
- Lee Stranahan: Ignoring death threats against WI politicians is media bias
- Mainstream media declares jihad against truth and the Tea Party
- Media watchdog group launches petition, demands liberal media ‘Tell the Truth’