On Friday, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted 11-7 to forward Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation as the next Supreme Court justice to the entire Senate for a vote. The eleven “aye” votes were all Republicans, the seven “nay” votes all Democrats.
Before the vote was taken, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) stipulated that he was willing to vote affirmatively provided that a week-long FBI investigation be conducted into 36-year-old allegations made against Kavanaugh. Before the vote, Flake had met with Democrat senators with whom he claimed to agree that such an investigation represented “due diligence.”
The call for such an investigation can be made only by the Senate leadership. If it is made, I find it hard to envision a scenario whereby the FBI would agree to be constrained by — or could comply with — a one-week deadline. If the agency uncovers new evidence, it is going to want to follow that thread out to its conclusion.
Did SCOTUS make the right decision on medical mandates for large businesses?
The resulting delay would have the effect of prolonging the ten days of hell to which the Kavanaugh family has already been exposed.
The Democratic committee members insist this is not another stall tactic, but now that they have enlisted Flake as a front man, it hardly matters whether it is or isn’t. If the demand for an investigation is not acceded to, Flake will vote against the confirmation, and so, in all likelihood, will Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, likely leaving the GOP short of the needed votes.
Cross-posted with Liberty Unyielding
- GOP Sen. Orrin Hatch: Democrat smear of Brett Kavanaugh worse than Thomas, Bork — Video
- American Bar Association demands halt to Kavanaugh confirmation in wake of contentious hearing
- Video: Lindsay Graham shreds Democrats for smear campaign against Brett Kavanaugh
- Video: Judge Kavanaugh DESTROYS despicable Democrats in emotional testimony
- What’s next? Will Dems now claim Kavanaugh once molested a horde of wild mongrel dogs?
And while you’re at it, be sure to check out our friends at Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative front-page founded by ex-military!