In an interview with Time magazine, McCain said Obama made a good impression on GOP Senators at a dinner last year because in his view, the president was simply smarter than they were.
“I thought when he had a couple of dinners with Republican senators, we really had a good environment there. Because he is a very very articulate and attractive guy in a setting with eight or nine senators and him. Because he was smarter than the rest of us.”
But McCain tacked something on at the end, perhaps sensing the blowback he would get.
“But I don’t see that now. I don’t see any of that,” he added.
He did, however, toss a compliment towards Marco Rubio.
“I think that Marco Rubio is a very bright and very articulate young senator and has a great deal of attractiveness to him,” he said.
There was a bright spot in the interview, however.
When asked if he would run again, McCain said: “No.”
“I’ve been rejected often enough,” he said.
The whole interview can be seen here.
- McRINO: Amnesty more important than 20,000 border patrol agents
- MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell: McRINO a hero, conservatives wanting border security shameful
- Report: John McCain’s ‘moderate’ allies in Syria behead 40-day-old infant, mother
- GOP sends negative Cruz info to Fox; Aide says John McCain ‘f-g hates’ Ted Cruz
- John McCain, Lindsey Graham attack Rand Paul for marathon 13-hour filibuster
- McCain joins Obama, calls for review of ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws (Video)
- McCain ‘impressed’ with Obama’s divisive ‘coulda been me’ speech on racism
- Sen. John McCain says Republicans should settle on Mitt Romney
- McCain defends Syrian rebels’ use of ‘Allahu Akbar,’ blasts Fox News host
- McCain praises Schumer, says he is reminded of what he did with Ted Kennedy