Earlier Tuesday, Jose Antonio Vargas, a journalist who also happens to be in the country illegally, was detained by Border Patrol agents at McAllen-Miller International Airport. He was held for about eight hours before being released on his own recognizance. According to the Washington Post, he was detained after “trying to leave a Texas border town without a valid U.S. visa.”
Should Congress Remove Biden from Office?
Earlier in the day, he posted this on Twitter:
— Jose Antonio Vargas (@joseiswriting) July 15, 2014
In a statement, the Department of Homeland Security said:
“U.S. Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol Agents operating at McAllen-Miller International Airport encountered Mr. Vargas and apprehended him after he stated that he was in the country illegally. Mr. Vargas was transported to the McAllen Border Patrol Station where he was processed and provided with a Notice to Appear before an immigration judge. He was released on his own recognizance after consultation with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
“Mr. Vargas has not previously been arrested by ICE nor has the agency ever issued a detainer on him or encountered him. ICE is focused on smart, effective immigration enforcement that prioritizes the agency’s resources to promote border security and to identify and remove criminal individuals who pose a threat to public safety and national security.”
The stunt didn’t go over too well.
That’s about it.
Naturally, liberals like Ezra Klein approved:
Veteran J. R. Salzman hit the nail on the head:
- White House petition: House illegal immigrant children on White House grounds
- Couple: Catholic church asking parishioners to house illegals, stay silent
- Sarah Palin: Impeach Barack Obama for lawlessness, dereliction of duty
- HHS muzzles media on immigrants: No pictures, recordings, questions allowed
- Dick Durbin blames Bush for border crisis, says he’s ‘fed up’ with Obama critics
- Militia groups moving to help secure Texas-Mexico border