Much has been written about the possibility of California seceding from the United States after Donald Trump’s historic win. I say let them go. Nothing would please me more than watching California turn into a third world country.
No one really believes California could or would secede from the US. They see it as a foil to attack Donald Trump. Let’s examine what it would take to secede and what the results would be.
What is the process for secession? First there could be a voter’s referendum on the matter. If that referendum were passed, the California legislature could let that stand or they could confirm the will of the people. The vote would likely fail badly because people aren’t that stupid — not even in California.
Which Candidate Do You Support in the Republican Primaries?
But for the sake of argument, let’s say it passes. Now, it goes to the United States Congress and they would have to vote to allow California to leave. The Republicans wouldn’t be their biggest foe, the Democrats would be.
Why is that? They would lose two Senate seats and 53 House seats. Democrats would find it difficult to ever get the majority in either house of Congress without them. And forget the UN. They can’t do a thing. But for the sake of argument, let’s say Congress approves California’s request and they become their own country.
The gross state product for California is 2.496 trillion. How would that be affected by secession?
Military bases of course would be abandoned, costing the state a great deal of money in lost revenue. Of course, California would have to provide for its own defense, costing it even more money.
But there’s an even bigger hurdle for California. As a post at Quora notes, it’s illegal and could lead to war:
- The Federal Government will go to war, regardless of current political thought, to keep the Union together. There are no collection of even 10 states that have remotely sufficient weaponry to secede without the Union destroying their infrastructure in under a day, causing mass starvation and thus requiring that state to sue for peace with the Union (that is: we’ve become accustomed to water, electricity, etc. The moment it’s removed, societal collapse ensues). Beyond that, the blockade and “legitimizing” of that seceding state (no trade, no exports, no currency) immediately makes it a no-go.
- states: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”
It’s possible that California wants war with the rest of the United States, but it’s a war the state would lose.
- #Calexit: California liberals call for secession after Trump victory
- Protesters break windows, start fires in Oakland in response to Trump victory
- Van Jones: Trump victory a ‘white-lash’ against black president not on the ballot
- Staten Island lawmaker: Let’s secede from New York City!
- Calls for Texas independence grow in wake of Brexit
And if you’re as concerned about Facebook censorship as we are, go here and order this new book: