Hillary Clinton attempts to explain her remark about Taliban 5 not being threat to U.S.
Hillary Clinton has not officially thrown her pants suit in the ring, but last night she took her first big step toward an eventual run for the presidency by entering the lion’s den (aka Fox News Channel), where she sat down for a Q & A with hosts Bret Baier and Greta Van Susteren.
Clinton appeared affable enough, even when asked questions that previously rankled her, such as to explain the two sets of talking points that emerged after the Benghazi raid. She had no real answer beyond the “fog-of-war” defense, but she wasn’t pressed and she didn’t lose her composure.
The highlight of her appearance was her response to a challenge by Van Susteren to explain her curious claim after the recent notorious prisoner swap that the so-called “Taliban 5” are “not a threat to the United States.”
Clinton had apparently been coached on this topic because she answered without hesitation (video here). Unfortunately for her, this was her response: “As long as they’re in Qatar, they’re not a threat to the United States.”
If only they had been sent to Pluto!
When Van Susteren pressed, noting that Osama bin Laden was never in the United States, Clinton dug herself deeper, explaining:
No, no, but in Qatar, with an agreement that has been entered into, they are supposed to be constrained from what they can do, and certainly they are not supposed to be permitted to travel. That is, my understanding tells me, what the deal is.
But within days of the exchange, Reuters reported that the prisoners would be allowed to “move freely” about Qatar. One of the five freed terrorists, moreover, told a relative that he would return to the battlefield to “fight Americans” again. Can we construe from Clinton’s response that she was unaware of these developments, and, if so, is she to be taken seriously as presidential timber? Even Barack Obama manages to keep abreast of current events, if only by following the news.
- Video: Hillary says Taliban 5 ‘not a threat to U.S.’
- Obama releases 5 top Taliban terrorists from Gitmo as good will gesture
- Daughter of 1st American killed in Afghanistan learns freed Taliban leader was behind it
- Shocker: U.S. officials not confident Qatar will keep track of Gitmo 5
- Bombshell book claims Hillary Clinton told Secret Service to ‘get the f**k away’
- Hillary Clinton: No reason to continue Benghazi investigation
- Freed Taliban commander tells relative he’ll fight Americans again
- Taliban commander: Terrorist release ‘has encouraged us’ to kidnap more soldiers
For more articles and headlines, be sure to check out Liberty Unyielding. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.