But Mediaite reminds us that not too long ago, then-Senator Joe Biden threatened George W. Bush with impeachment if he engaged in military action without going to Congress first.
“The reason I made the comment was as a warning. I don’t say those things lightly, Chris. you’ve known me for a long time. I was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee for 17 years. I teach separation of powers in constitutional law. This is something I know. So I brought a group of constitutional scholars together to write a piece that I’m going to deliver to the whole United States Senate pointing out that the president has no constitutional authority to take this country to war against a country of 70 million people unless we’re attacked or unless there is proof that we are about to be attacked. And if he does, I would move to impeach him. The House obviously has to do that, but I would lead an effort to impeach him,” Biden told MSNBC’s Chris Matthews in 2007.
Here’s video of that statement:
A post at Policymic notes:
“Now, in 2013, Biden is the vice president and Obama, as president, is undoubtedly going to strike Syria in response to a brutal chemical weapons massacre outside of Damascus. However, the administration has not lifted a finger to approach Congress for authorization, illustrating Obama’s and Biden’s blatant hypocrisy in regards to the imperial presidency.”
Guess that standard doesn’t matter anymore, does it?
Policymic also reminds us that this would be the second time Obama used military force without Congressional approval, and we all know how well that worked out…
- Sen. Ted Cruz: ‘Arrogant’ Obama administration pushing Obamacare, war in Syria
- Obama meets with Magic Johnson, snubs Congress on Syria
- Obama weighing two-day military strike against Syria
- Poll: Only 17 percent see President Obama as a strong military leader
- Ted Cruz: Will Obama do background checks before giving arms to Syrian rebels?
- President Obama fiddles as the world burns
- Reporter to WH: ‘Doesn’t there come a point where you have to make a decision?’
- UK paper asks: Is Barack Obama the weakest President in history?
Be sure to check out our Headlines page to see what else our contributors are covering and make sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.
You can also hear Joe every Wednesday from 6-7 p.m. Pacific Time on Misguided Children radio.