What’s the best way to fight racism? Be racist yourself. That was the approach taken by a group of employees at South Puget Sound Community College who decided to hold a “happy hour” to “build support and community” for people of color. An invitation emailed by the “Staff, Faculty and Administrators of Color” went out to all 300 employees but made it clear that white employees were not invited.
Station KING notes that the email read:
If you want to create space for white folks to meet and work on racism, white supremacy, and white privilege to better our campus community and yourselves, please feel free to do just that.
“It was obviously a mistake,” said SPSCC’s Dean of College Relations, Kellie Purce Braseth, giving a whole new meaning to whitewashing. The language in the invitation could not have been more straightforward — or hostile to whites.
Karama Blackhorn, program coordinator for the school’s Diversity and Equity Center, who helped author the invitation, said it could have been worded differently, but then in the next breath insists:
When trying to explicitly talk about race it can be a really difficult conversation for a lot of people (video here).
The event has been canceled, but the attitude that led to tis creation no doubt remains.
- Columbia University seeks to change ‘white only’ requirement for fellowship
- Turns out there’s a ‘White Privilege Conference.’ Yes, it’s taxpayer-funded
- U. of Minnesota Black Student Union: Stop mentioning race in crime alerts
- Common Core: ‘Educating’ 4th-graders about ‘white privilege’
- The conversation on race people us people of white privilege should have with our kids
- Report: Affirmative action has made ‘white privilege’ worse
- Pro-Trayvon Martin protester: You need to be ‘checking your white privilege’ daily
- Who’s ready to desegregate organized sports in favor of white athletes?
- College concert cancelled because band members ‘not white enough’
- Pentagon EO trainers learn of ‘White Male Club’
- White man wins election in heavily black district by intimating he is black
- CA leftists look to restore race and gender preferences
- Have Dems maxed out the race card?
- Why it’s hard to talk to liberals about race