It’s an understatement to say that the commander-in-chief of the U.S. armed forces has his priorities mixed up. Barack Obama’s latest initiative is to “invest” in new caps for the U.S. Marines that will give members of the Corps a snazzy “unisex” look. The White House hasn’t clarified how or if this ruling will affect Muslim military cadets, who were granted permission in 2011 to wear hijabs and turbans.
Of the new look, the New York Post quips that the change in attire “could take the hard-nosed Leathernecks from the Halls of Montezuma to the shops of Christopher Street.” (Translation for non-New Yorkers: Christopher Street is the main drag — pun intended — running through the gayest part of Greenwich Village.)
Apart from the overall silliness of the goal of converting this man’s army to this man’s/woman’s (and presumably at some point in the future “others’”) army is that the Corps, along with other branches of the military, has been subject to devastating budget cuts. One senior Marine source fumed to The Post:
We don’t even have enough funding to buy bullets, and the DoD is pushing to spend $8 million on covers that look like women’s hats! It makes them look ridiculous.
“The thin new hats,” the Post’s Jeane MacIntosh explains, “have a feminine line that some officials think would make them look just as good on female marines as on males — in keeping with the Obama directive.”
But not everyone thinks the hats are “girly.” Some members of the Corps object on the grounds that the new hats look like glorified versions of the caps worn by Pullman porters (aka red caps, pictured here), up through the 1960s. Almost all of these porters, to the man, were people of color, which means you can expect the race card to be played by someone in 5, 4, 3, …
- Defense Department authorizes Muslim cadets’ wearing of hijabs, turbans
- Obama, self-anointed savior of the middle class, slashes pay raise for military to meager 1%
- Obamas live the high life, Marines get food fit for the dogs
- Pentagon considering separate combat training for women
- MSNBC’s Chris Matthews: Opposition to Obama due to South losing Civil War
- Obama fails to return Marine salute boarding Marine One
- New York cops bust enemy plot to hack American troops ‘to pieces’
- Five ways in which Obama doesn’t represent the American people
- Where is the outrage over ‘ObamaNation’ flag?
- A possible naval showdown: U.S. 6th Fleet vs. Russian Med Task Force
- Decorated, wounded Marine treated ‘shamefully’ by TSA
- Are we still ‘One Nation Under God’ under Obama?