On Sunday, The Blaze reported that conservative sites have been hit with a new and creative method of censorship by Facebook, the social media giant recently dubbed “Iron FistBook” by political cartoonist A.F. Branco. According to the report, posts that seem to be shared by a lot of users now get marked as spam. The Daily Caller, Dan Bongino and others have been hit, the report said.
According to Chris Enloe:
In an exclusive story, the Daily Caller News Foundation obtained and reported on several hundred new text messages between FBI agent Peter Strzok and bureau lawyer Lisa Page. The text messages were turned over to Congress late Thursday and the DCNF reported on them Friday morning.
However, much of the DCNF’s readership was unable to access the story after the news organization shared it on the Daily Caller’s Facebook page. That’s because Facebook labeled the story “spam” and severely limited its circulation.
Facebook went so far as to prevent users, and the outlet, from sharing the story, urging them to post something else.
“Our security systems have detected that a lot of people are posting the same content, which could mean that it’s spam,” a Facebook message reportedly said. “Please try a different post.”
— Peter J. Hasson (@peterjhasson) April 27, 2018
A Facebook spokesperson told the Daily Caller that the post “triggered one of our automated spam signals – likely because of the high activity that is mentioned in that alert.”
Facebook said it would correct the error.
The Facebook spokesperson said it would correct the error and admitted that several news outlets have been affected by its algorithm triggering a “false positive,” preventing the stories from being posted.
Enloe went on to say that “it appears the ‘false positives’ are only affecting conservative news outlets and non-liberals.”
Conservative commentator Dan Bongino said he’s also been hit by the algorithm.
We were also hit by the algorithm when Facebook falsely flagged this post as spam. The flag was reversed in fairly short order, but it should not have been removed at all.
Last week, Rep. Jerrold Nadler, the New York Democrat who has taken thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from Google and Facebook, claimed during a hearing featuring Diamond and Silk that this type of censorship is a “hoax.”
Apparently, Facebook didn’t get the memo.
- Video of the Day: Dennis Michael Lynch latest conservative site to get crushed by Facebook censorship
- Facebook bans California GOP Senate candidate Erin Cruz over years-old post
- Dem Rep. Nadler falsely claims social media censorship a ‘hoax,’ but took thousands from Google, Facebook
- Facebook removes picture of U.S. flag, declares it ‘spam’
- Allen West: Facebook, Google, Twitter at war with conservatives; Time to fight back
And if you’re as concerned about online censorship as we are, go here and order this book: