How bad are things on Facebook? As my colleague Jeff Dunetz noted over at the Media Research Center, the media is focusing on Facebook’s Trending Topics issue but ignoring the real problems with the social media giant. What many aren’t hearing about are the numerous stories of abuse and insane bans meted out to many users.
Consider this. One user, who asked to remain anonymous, said Tuesday he was given a 30-day ban for a graphic declaring that there are two genders — male and female.
Here’s the picture in question:
According to Facebook, this violates their community standards.
How is that possible? Good question. Apparently, Facebook is so liberal that it now rejects science and banishes anyone who disagrees.
On Wednesday, CEO Mark Zuckerberg is set to meet with a group of conservatives including Glenn Beck and S.E. Cupp to discuss Trending Topics.
That’s all well and good, but what about nonsense like this? Who will stand for the average conservative? Anyone?
This isn’t the first time something like this has happened, and chances are it won’t be the last.
As a final note, I, along with Adina Kutnicki, an investigative journalist based in Israel, are putting the final touches on a book about the social media giant and what it enables. That book is tentatively set to be published this fall.
- Facebook: 2012 Donald Trump campaign button violates rules against nudity
- Pamela Geller: Muslim posted death threat on Facebook page
- Facebook: Article about Muslims angry over restaurants’ refusal to serve halal food violates community standards
- ‘Muslim Mafia’ author: Muslims working with Facebook to silence critics of Islam
- Facebook smacks admin of ‘2 Million Bikers to DC’ page for clicking ‘like’