As of early Friday, the event was closing in on 20,000 attendees who said they would temporarily suspend their accounts for 24 hours on August 25.
I am waiting for information from Facebook, but I’ve been told that “troll” activity has spiked considerably over the last three days.
Much more to come on this.
Update: It’s looking more and more like this was the work of hackers.
Update 2: The event is back online, seems it was accidentally deactivated when the main admin deactivated his account early…
Nevertheless, I have received reports that online trolls are going spastic. More on that…
- Announcing ‘Everyone Blog About Facebook Blackout’ day
- Facebook goes ban-happy, punishes user for saying ‘thank you’
- Facebook suspends ‘Blackout’ event admin for post saying woman seeking attention
- Report: Facebook says invites to ‘Blackout’ protest event ‘spammy’
- Liberals freaking out over conservative ‘Facebook Blackout’ protest
- Facebook protest calls for ‘blackout’ of site over treatment of conservatives
- Conservative tells liberals to stop living off the government, Facebook bans him
- Liberals Are people Too…Mean, Selfish People
- Facebook apologizes to Kirk Cameron for blocking new movie
- What the Daily Beast doesn’t tell you about Freedom from Facebook Day
- Facebook says ‘Zimmerman must Die’ does not violate community standards
- Facebook removes ‘Kill Zimmerman’ page after saying it does not violate rules
- Questions raised after Facebook yanks popular ‘Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children’
- Facebook pages call for death of George Zimmerman, rioting for Trayvon Martin
- Facebook bans Fox News’ Todd Starnes over post supporting NRA, Paula Deen, Jesus
- Facebook: Page advocating the beheading of infidels does not violate rules
- Facebook: Beheading video ‘doesn’t violate’ standards for graphic violence
- Facebook justifies decision to not pull grisly beheading video
- Facebook yanks gun sellers’ pages over firearm sweepstakes
- Conservative bloggers say Facebook selectively enforcing non-existent rules
- Facebook bans conservative blogger for link she did not post
- Facebook targets conservative page for closure, backtracks and apologizes
- Do Facebook policies banning users squelch free speech?
- Facebook page calling for death of Sarah Palin gets more violent
Be sure to check out our Headlines page to see what else our contributors are covering and make sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.