After several weeks of legal wrangling, Donald Trump scored a rather significant victory earlier just days ago when a federal judge allowed for the appointment of a “special master” to oversee the DOJ’s handling of documents taken from the former President’s Florida home.
Unsurprisingly, the DOJ and the Democrats were none-too-thrilled about the news. Now, the Justice Department is taking action.
The Department of Justice on Thursday appealed a federal judge’s ruling to authorize a special master to review documents that the FBI seized from the Florida residence of former President Donald Trump.
The Justice Department also asked Judge Aileen Cannon to pause her related order blocking the government from further reviewing documents marked classified that were found during last month’s search of Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Palm Beach resort home.
The moves came three days after Cannon approved Trump’s request for a special master to sift through the seized materials to identify personal items and records that are protected by attorney-client privilege or executive privilege.
And that’s not all that the DOJ was looking for…
The Justice Department also asked Cannon to stay her order that blocks the agency from further reviewing and using the seized documents with classification markings for criminal investigative purposes, pending the appeal. Last week, the department revealed that the FBI seized more than 100 classified documents during the raid.
The DOJ said in Thursday’s filing that it is likely to succeed on its appeal as it applies to the classified records, which represent a fraction of the documents that were found at Mar-a-Lago.
Trump “does not and could not assert that he owns or has any possessory interest in classified records; that he has any right to have those government records returned to him; or that he can advance any plausible claims of attorney-client privilege as to such records that would bar the government from reviewing or using them,” the DOJ wrote.
Donald Trump has repeatedly suggested that the documents in question have been declassified, and that there was no wrongdoing on his part.
Cross-posted with Flag and Cross
- Federal Judge Grants Trump Request for Independent Special Master in Document Search
- Former CIA Chief Agrees: Trump Could be ‘Executed’ Over Mar-a-Lago Documents
- Bernard Kerik: If the Raid Doesn’t Stop Trump, Their Next Step May be Assassination
- FBI Did NOT Disclose Trump’s Jan. 19, 2021 Declassification Order Of Russiagate Documents To The Federal Magistrate Judge In Warrant Affidavit
- DOJ Has ‘No Case’ Against Trump, Says Former FBI Assistant Director
- Detailed Analysis Shows Clearly Just How Corrupt The FBI Became In The Age Of Trump
Turn your back on Big Tech oligarchs and join the New Resistance NOW! Facebook, Google, and other members of the Silicon Valley Axis of Evil are now doing everything they can to deliberately silence conservative content online, so please be sure to check out our MeWe page here, check us out at ProAmerica Only and follow us at Parler, Social Cross and Gab. You can also follow us on Truth Social here, Twitter at @co_firing_line, and at the social media site set up by members of Team Trump, GETTR.