This weekend, Americans will be celebrating the birth of the American nation, but some, like former Clinton Labor Secretary Robert B. Reich, apparently think that’s a bad thing. At least the way it’s celebrated by some, specifically Trump supporters. In an op-ed posted Wednesday, he warned against “exclusive patriotism” that “asserts a unique and superior ‘Americanism'” that excludes others “beyond our borders.”
You know, like illegal immigrants and Middle Eastern terrorists who want to kill us.
“Donald Trump famously wants to ban all Muslims from coming to America, and to build a wall along the Mexican border to keep out Mexicans,” he wrote.
Exclusive patriotism tells us to fear foreign terrorists in our midst — even though almost every terrorist attack since 9/11 has been perpetrated by American citizens or holders of green cards living here for a decade or more.
Exclusive patriotism is not welcoming or generous. Since the war in Syria began in 2011, we’ve allowed in only 3,127 out of the more than 4 million refugees who have fled that nation.
He also said that “exclusive patriotism celebrates the acquisitive individual and lone entrepreneur. It tells us that taxes on the wealthy slow economic growth and deter innovation.”
Worse yet, he accused those who don’t think like him of not caring about democracy.
Reich’s entire piece can be summed up this way: Statists like him are the true patriots while those who support the Constitution aren’t.
- Alabama councilwoman: Holocaust memorial racist because ‘it is for dead people’ — Video
- Islam’s Threat Exposed On Capitol Hill, Chris Gaubatz Testifies
- George Mason U. prof. says patriots more dangerous than foreign terrorists
- Obama Welcomed Forty ISIS Terrorists From Syria into the United States
- Videos: Racist black ‘F- Yo Flag’ activists spit, stomp on flag in front of veterans at Trump event