Following a horrific attack on school children at an elementary school in the central province of Hubei in China, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms declared that the mass killing is “more proof that madmen determined to cause mayhem don’t need guns when their victims are helpless.”
Eight children were killed by a man using what reports described as a meat cleaver. The attack occurred Monday at the Chaoyangpo Elementary School, according to CNN and other news agencies.
The suspect is in custody. There were few details about the man, except that it is reported he was recently released from prison, and one report speculated that he launched the bloody attack for revenge. He is reportedly 40 years old.
“This unspeakable crime can also serve as a reminder to those who are always willing to blame the American firearms community for attacks at schools and other places that the United States is hardly the only nation where mass killings occur,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb in a prepared statement. “What happened Monday in central China was an inexplicable act of brutality against innocent youngsters, which can be said about any attack in any school, anywhere around the world.”
This is not the first time such a grisly crime has been committed in China. In his statement, Gottlieb recalled an attack in January at a school in Beijing that injured 20 youngsters, and last year there were two fatal attacks, one in June that resulted in two youngsters being killed, and in April 2018 nine people were murdered in an attack outside of a middle school in Shaanxi province.
Yet, Gottlieb observed, “Nobody is calling for regulation of cutting tools, and we think this terrible crime should remind people that it is not the tool, but what is in the hearts of people who commit these heinous acts, that is really to blame.”
“We must remember,” he said, “that one depraved individual appears to be responsible. It would be irresponsible on our part to blame Chinese society or even a segment of that country’s population for what happened. One person did this, and we are confident that he will be dealt with individually, rather than penalizing millions of Chinese citizens for a crime they did not commit.”
It was a backhanded remark aimed at the American gun prohibition movement, which pushes laws that penalize all gun owners for the criminal acts of a few individuals.
Underscoring that was Tuesday’s announcement by Walmart that it is going to stop selling handgun ammunition. Walmart CEO Doug McMillon sent a memo to all employees explaining the chain store’s action. He also is asking that customers not open carry in Walmart stores.
“There have been multiple incidents since El Paso where individuals attempting to make a statement and test our response have entered our stores carrying weapons in a way that frightened or concerned our associates and customers,” the memo says. “We have also had well-intentioned customers acting lawfully that have inadvertently caused a store to be evacuated and local law enforcement to be called to respond. These incidents are concerning and we would like to avoid them, so we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores or Sam’s Clubs in states where ‘open carry’ is permitted – unless they are authorized law enforcement officers.”
If you haven’t checked out and liked our Facebook page, please go here and do so. You can also follow us on Twitter at @co_firing_line and be sure to check out our MeWe page here and our new PatrioticSpace group here.
If you appreciate independent conservative reports like this, please go here and support us on Patreon.
And while you’re at it, be sure to check out our friends at Whatfinger News, the Internet’s conservative front-page founded by ex-military!