California’s Democratic leadership has long liked to think of themselves as the way of the future, taking massively progressive leaps in society and culture that often either backfire completely, or make the Golden State the laughingstock of the entire nation.
This time, however, California’s latest lurch to the far left is taking aim at one of Americans’ most prized possessions and obsessions: The automobile.
California on Thursday is expected to put into effect its sweeping plan to prohibit the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035, a groundbreaking move that could have major effects on the effort to fight climate change and accelerate a global transition toward electric vehicles.
“This is huge,” said Margo Oge, an electric vehicles expert who headed the Environmental Protection Agency’s transportation emissions program under Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama. “California will now be the only government in the world that mandates zero-emission vehicles. It is unique.”
The plan is aggressive, to say the least:
The rule, issued by the California Air Resources Board, will require that 100 percent of all new cars sold in the state by 2035 be free of the fossil fuel emissions chiefly responsible for warming the planet, up from 12 percent today. It sets interim targets requiring that 35 percent of new passenger vehicles sold in the state by 2026 produce zero emissions. That would climb to 68 percent by 2030.
Car culture is an enormous piece of American society, and our heritage as a nation, and the move certainly brings with it the sort of unwelcome figurative theft of history that we fear the most.
Which Candidate Do You Support in the Republican Primaries?
Cross-posted with Flag and Cross
- Electric-Vehicle Owners Facing Privacy-Jolting Mileage Taxes
- Dem Sen. Stabenow: High Prices Didn’t Matter As I Drove By Gas Station In My Electric Car (Video)
- Ford Posts $3.1 Billion Loss Over Electric Car Gamble
- Analysis: The Electric Car Is A Democrat Policy Designed To DESTROY You
- What? The Economist claims ‘little evidence’ light, electricity transform people’s lives
- A Proposal For Congress: Anti-Oil Liberals Should Be Denied Right To Purchase, Use Anything Made From Petroleum
- ‘We Don’t Want’ Lower Prices For Gas: Global Warming Apologists Exposed
Turn your back on Big Tech oligarchs and join the New Resistance NOW! Facebook, Google, and other members of the Silicon Valley Axis of Evil are now doing everything they can to deliberately silence conservative content online, so please be sure to check out our MeWe page here, check us out at ProAmerica Only and follow us at Parler, Social Cross and Gab. You can also follow us on Truth Social here, Twitter at @co_firing_line, and at the social media site set up by members of Team Trump, GETTR.