On Tuesday morning, Donald Trump angered many when he repeated the National Enquirer’s claim that a photo places Ted Cruz’s father with Lee Harvey Oswald just before the assassination of former President John F. Kennedy.
Fox News’ Sean Hannity also let Trump repeat the claim as though it were true.
Politifact, however, said it ran a facial recognition scan on the grainy black-and-white photo in question, and the man next to Oswald is not Cruz.
take our poll - story continues below
— PolitiFact (@PolitiFact) May 3, 2016
Between this and other outlets that have debunked the crazy theory, it should be clear by now that Cruz played no role in the murder of JFK.
As long as we’re taking conspiracy theories seriously, check out the timestamp on PolitiFact’s tweet, showing that it was posted after the first polls had closed in Indiana. Who knows how many votes could have been salvaged if this important information had been brought to light even a few hours earlier.
Some, however, still want to point a finger at Cruz:
@PolitiFact pants on fire? He still could have been involved….. 🙂
— dohman (@dpohman) May 3, 2016
Of course, this is all moot at this point, now that Ted Cruz has dropped out of the race.
— Kathy (@mydoggigi) May 3, 2016
How low, indeed…
Exit question: Will Fox News and Sean Hannity apologize to Cruz for letting Trump push his thoroughly-debunked conspiracy theory?
- Video: Trump promotes debunked conspiracy theory that Ted Cruz’s father involved in JFK assassination
- Photos show Ted Cruz tempted Eve in Garden of Eden and other stories the National Enquirer can use
- A Fox News alert you won’t see: Ted Cruz’s father didn’t kill JFK
- Lindsey Graham ‘jokes’ about killing Ted Cruz on Senate floor
- Conservatives say Fox News lying about Cruz-Super PAC connection to Melania ad