Academy Award-winning actor Jeremy Irons, who describes himself as a “complete libertarian,” says Bloomberg’s nanny-statism is “terrible” and “dangerous.”
Who would you vote for if the elections were held today? (1)
“I’m a complete libertarian. I think it’s very, very dangerous. I really mean that. I think the smoking ban is a tip of an iceberg of society — the leaders of society telling us how to be,” he told the Huffington Post.
“I think it’s not their business. I think it is their business to tell us to care for and respect each other and each other’s happiness and each other’s health, and we are responsible enough to do that. It’s the nanny state. It is terrible. It’s the tip of the iceberg, because it’s an attitude, it’s an attitude where the governors think ‘we know what’s best for people, and they’re so stupid that they would only not do it if we ban it’,” he added.
Watch the video for yourself:
- CNN’s Piers Morgan on Bloomberg’s soda ban: ‘People need the nanny state’
- Michael Bloomberg: Government ‘should infringe’ on some individual freedom
- MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski claims soft drink makers poisoning children
- Judge overturns Bloomberg’s ban on large sugary drinks
- New York Mayor Bloomberg bans 2-liter soda with pizza, some nightclub mixers
- MSNBC host Touré: Government should be paternalistic with more mandates
Be sure to check out our Headlines page to see what else our contributors are covering.