A petition at the White House “We the People” website is now demanding the arrest and prosecution of GOP front-runner Donald Trump.
The petition reads:
Donald J. Trump has been inciting violent acts amongst his supporters. He should be arrested and prosecuted for this. Legal precedent: Brandenburg v. Ohio. To wit, the Court held that government cannot punish inflammatory speech.
UNLESS that speech is directed to inciting, and is likely to incite, imminent lawless action.
Clearly, he is doing exactly that.
The petition has garnered a bit over 54,000 signatures as of this writing, and needs about 45,000 more before the White House is supposed to take action.
Recently, a North Carolina sheriff’s office had looked into charging Trump with inciting a riot following an incident in Fayetteville, where a protester was punched in the face. After reviewing the speech, however, the office said it would not charge the GOP front-runner.
- North Carolina sheriff considers charging Trump with inciting a riot
- ACLU defends Trump throwing protesters out of his venues
- Chicago rioters: Groping female Trump supporters is okay; ‘They are racist white b**ches’
- North Carolina sheriff won’t charge Donald Trump with inciting a riot
- Video: Twitter accused of censoring violent nature of Chicago anti-Trump protest