Cleta Mitchell, who is representing True the Vote, filed an ethics probe against Elijah Cummings on February 6th (2014) with the Office of Congressional Ethics . Last fall, True the Vote started receiving 8 and 9-page letters from Cummings, claiming he was conducting an investigation of their organization as part of the House Oversight Committee. One problem. The House Oversight Committee is only allowed to investigate government agencies. Going after a private citizen is illegal.
Mitchell wants to find out if Cummings is responsible in part or completely for the harassment of Catherine Engelbrecht, founder of True the Vote. After Cummings launched his “investigation” , Engelbrecht had her business audited twice, her personal taxes once, two visits from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, a surprise visit from OSHA, seven visits from the FBI.
Last week, emails were released to the committee that showed that Cummings was working with Lois Lerner, which is why he attempted to scuttle the investigation into the IRS, immediately as soon as it was announced.
- Conservative files abuse of power complaint against Dem. Rep. Elijah Cummings
- White House Press Secretary Jay Carney calls freedom a ‘buzzword’
- Dem. Sen. Chuck Schumer: Obama should use IRS to curtail Tea Party
- Darrell Issa: White House press secretary Jay Carney a ‘paid liar’
- Jay Carney to Joe Scarborough: IRS, Benghazi, NSA scandals ‘phony’